Have swollen lymph gland, shoulder and neck pain. Had breast cancer. Could it be bug bite?

Rheumatologist
Question
Had breast cancer 08. I have swollen lymph gland right collarbone and shoulder and neck pain. Feel stupid but could it be from bug bite I had 3 or 4 weeks ago? I seem to be getting worse.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Looking into the history, you have provided I see that you had breast cancer in 2008. Now you have developed a swollen lymph node probably supraclavicular along with shoulder and neck pain.

It is very less likely to be due to bug bite because then it would not have persisted for so long. It is a very serious thing and needs urgent evaluation.

It needs physical examination of lymph node , its size , number , consistency ,whether it is fixed to the underlying structure or movable , inflamed or not . Axillary and other sites of lymph node need to be looked at for lymph node enlargement. Probably FNAC of the lymph node or may be a biopsy will be required for making a diagnosis.

It is advisable to you to see an oncologist at earliest because first thing is to rule out any relapse of breast cancer. Kindly seek medical advice as earliest as possible.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti