Have swollen lump inside armpit. What could this be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i am a male and have a lump XXXXXXX inside my right armpit That i notice a couple of weeks ago, after my weight training, it hurts a little and feels a little swollen under my arm, there is no sign of infection or redness of my skin, what could this be?
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
A lump in armpit can be a swollen lymphnode, in response to fungal infection or sweat dermatitis or infection of hair follicles. It can also be an enlarged lymphnode due to malignancy of breast (rare in males but not impossible). At times it is a cyst too and this can get infected. Lipoma is also a possibility.
However according to your age and description it does seem most probably a XXXXXXX axillary lymph node which can get swollen and painful in any infection or inflammation of the soft tissues or muscles it drains .
I agree that you have no signs of skin infection but XXXXXXX axillary lymph nodes might not usually drain skin but the underlying muscles and tissues of chest ( breast and arm region) . In case of muscle / tissue inflammation or infection these lymph nodes should resolve on its own in a couple of weeks .If its been more than 15 days or the lump is worsening in pain or size then it's best to Consult your PCP ( doctor )for an evaluation. A CT scan can be confirmatory or a fine needle biopsy. Treatment can vary from wait and watch to anti-inflammatory along with antibiotics to excision of the lump. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Please do not worry as it doesnt seem worrisome as of now but it's always better to be on the safer side and get it evaluated .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.