Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swollen gums, white patches around tongue and purple spots on roof of mouth. Treatment?

Excellent

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
Hello, I found out I had Genital HPV; and now there is two white patches around my tongue and some purple spots on the roof of my mouth. Also I noticed something that looks like Leukoplakia near the end of my teeth. And there are those white raised spots on the roof of my mouth. Also, my gums are swollen and I just started noticing that my gums hurt when i open my mouth.

What could this be ?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 31 minutes later

First, are you being treated for Hepatitis and if you are then is your physician also aware of your oral condition. If not, i would suggest that you see an oral pathologist for the same.
The white patches seem to be oral candidiasis superimposed on HPV, but it needs to be confirmed after an oral examination and tissue culture.
Gums may be swollen due to the above mentioned condition or separate reasons such as periodontitis ie: inflamation of the gums for which you need to visit a dentist.
Till you can visit a specialist, you must start with an antifungal mouthwash, warm saline gargles (2-3 times/day), appliation of a local anesthetic on gums for instant pain relief.
I strongly suggest you visit your dentist/doctor for examination as you should be treated for HPV and candidiasis along with any other super imposed condition.
Hope you feel better soon.
Reards

Follow-up: Have swollen gums, white patches around tongue and purple spots on roof of mouth. Treatment? 8 minutes later
Is HPV cured within 2-3 years after the infection? and is this a sign of oral cancer caused by HPV?

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 22 hours later

The recovery of old HPV infections depends on severity of disease and the prognosis varies. I would suggest that you discuss it with your physician as some investigations need to be done before giving a definite answer.

It does not look like a sign for oral cancer, but the lesions need to be examined and if required biopsy is to be performed to be certain of the same.

Follow-up: Have swollen gums, white patches around tongue and purple spots on roof of mouth. Treatment? 2 hours later
Should I visit a dentist for my oral problems or a dermatologist seeing that my oral problems may have been caused by an STD?

And I really appreciate your in depth response. Thank you !

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

I would suggest that you visit a dermatologist first and once the treatment has begun then your doctor may ask you to visit a dentist as well. A thorough examination is mandatory in your condition.

If there are any more queries, i'll be happy to help.