Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swollen gum after wisdom tooth removal and food is stuck. What could be the problem?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hi my right wisdom tooth was removed 3 weeks ago. When I saw the oral surgeon that day I had an infection that's why it was hurting a lot. The gum was swollen. He said that my wisdom tooth needed to be taken out right away. So he gave me antibiotics and on the same day the tooth was taken out. Now after 3 weeks already, the stitches have been taken out about 2 weeks ago. But after eating, there is always food getting stuck in there. I need to floss it out. The food is not stuck in the gum but rather, somewhere between my gum and my jaw. Seems like there is a gap there? Or is it because of the unevenness of the surface of my skin due to the surgery ? What should I do ? Do you think I should get it restitched?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dear XXXX, Do not worry, Keep it clean. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Hello, I understand your concern. if you do not have pain and swelling do not worry. In few people food gets stacked in tooth extracted areas. Keep the region clean by gentle gargling with warm salt water or mouth wash containing chlorexidine. Such gargling to be done 3-4 times a day preferably after food. The gap gets closed slowly by growth of the soft tissue from the sides of the socket. It takes 1-2 months as the process of such healing is slow. wish you speedy recovery, with happy regards,