Have swollen glands near throat, cough and runny fever. Should I be worried about cancer or HIV?

I have two slightly swollen glands near my throat for a bout a month now. i have had a little cough and runny nose. I work at a medical office so i always have the sniffles. I am also under extreme stress. I took antibiotics for a week but the slight swelling is still there. You can't see it the swelling but it can be felt. The doctors i work with do not seem to concerned with it but after doing some research on the internet, i have scared myself half to death. I have read that swollen glands are indicators of cancer and HIV. Should i be as worried as i feel right now? When should i be concerned that it is something very serious that requires in depth medical attention?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence.
Swelling in the neck, presumably lymph nodes, not subsiding after a course of antibiotics, one would be concerned. Internet tells you what you want to know not what you ought to know. So, it is a cause of CONCERN not for panic. You have to be seen by a doctor who gives time to patients not necessarily a specialist. He/she will do thorough examination including palpating the swelling which is only palpable. A decision has to taken whether you need a needle aspiration cytology after a course of antibiotics or the course taken before is sufficient. Let the timing be decided by the doctor. From what you have written a firm diagnosis is after histo-pathology will be my suggestion and you insist on a firm diagnosis they will go for histo-pathology at least hematological investigation and complete physical examination. If they then give you clean chit, I assure you it is a serious business for doctor to give a clean chit unless he/she is 100% sure. So, you insist for what is right and do not worry things will fall in line. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW