Have swollen eye, perscribed Systane eye drop and Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment, eyes swelled more

My eye is swollen, so I went to the doctor, he perscribed me systane eye drop and Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment USP, 0.5%. after applying these, my eye only only swelled up more. do you have any idea what is causing my eye to swell and how to make the swelling dissapear?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
It s for sure sure there is an active inflammation of the eyes, acute conjonctivitis. I think combining an anti biotic with a nonsteroidal doctor was justified.

However, non response or aggravation of symptoms might signify two things. First, the antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs are inappropriate to the infectious agent or in low than required doses. The most appropriate thing to do in this case is first changing to a Flouroquinolone anti biotic an topical level, use of systemic (injections) of antiobiotics and anti inflammatory drugs, to give the greatest anti biotic cover, as I suggest you book an appointment with an opthalmologist if symptoms persist. For now, the acute inflammation and possible infection need to be stopped by aggressive untravenous antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs, based on the fact that a local therapy has already been tried with no success.

I do strongly suggest you consult your good health.

Bain LE, MD.