Have swollen eye after a punch and numbness feeling. Is this normal?

Hi, I was punched in the eye and had some pretty decent swelling. My eye was red, I assume a blood vessel in my eye burst. When I was hit I bled from the nose but not a whole lot. My question is I have numbness from where I was hit, feels like a shot of novacaine is this normal? The feeling in my face is coming back slowly. Is this normal? Also I'm spitting up blood. Are these all normal or should I go see my M.D.?
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Blunt injury to face. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX care magic, It seems from the history that you had injury to face by a punch indicating blunt injury. The eye appearing red indicates subconjunctival hemorrhage because of injury to blood vessel leading to subconjunctival hemorrhage. This will resolve even without treatment and this may take 2 to 3 weeks. Numbness over face is indicating injury to the trigeminal nerve or its branch. This will recover with regeneration of the damaged nerve. This will take 1 to 2 weeks depending on the severity of damage to the nerve. Spitting up of blood indicates nasal bleeding or bleeding from the oral cavity. overall the injury is appearing to be severe and this requires evaluation to rule out fractures of the bones of the face. Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for Xray or CT scan and other relevant examinations and treatment if required for nasal or bleeding from oral cavity. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you
Follow-up: Have swollen eye after a punch and numbness feeling. Is this normal? 8 minutes later
The red eye has pretty much gone away in just 3 days. I've attached a photo below. Is it all poasible the blood from my eye can drain through my sinuses? I appreciate your input about the nerve in my face that makes me feel better. I've already scheduled a doctors appoimtment for this Friday. I'm pretty sure i have no broken bones. If I stop spitting up blood is it safe to say I'll be ok? Anyways thanks for the response. I'll head your advice.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blunt in jury requires examination. Detailed Answer: Hello, welcome to health care magic Thank you for the follow up query. It is not possible for the blood from the eye to drain through the sinuses, the blood from the eyes gets reabsorbed and since it is getting cleared then no need to worry. Regarding numbness and nerve injury, trigeminal nerve supplies the sensory sensation over face. this nerve regenerates quickly following damage hence numbness will definitely disappear once the nerve regenerates completely. If you are not having fracture involving any of the bones then treatment is not required, just get one examination done from your doctor for confirmation and reassurance. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you
Follow-up: Have swollen eye after a punch and numbness feeling. Is this normal? 1 minute later
Thanks a lot doc.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you Detailed Answer: Thank you. Hope the information was useful to you.