Have swollen eardrum and experiencing severe hearing loss. How to overcome this problem?

Jun 2015

I have what feels like a swollen eardrum and am experiencing severe hearing loss. I have no pain however,Have tried everything from prescription medicine for allergies sinus etc as well as the salt/alchol mixture. My throat is a bit irritable at times-any advise?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Hello dear...
The symptoms as mentioned in your post suggest that you might be having Otitis media (infection/inflammation of the middle ear)...most probably Serous Otitis media (Otitis media with Effusion/Glue ear)
In this condition...the middle ear cavity gets filled with serous fluid, resulting in bulging of tympanic membrane (eardrum) & interference with transmission of sound resulting in conductive hearing loss.
Moreover...there is a connecting tract (known as Eustachian tube) between the middle ear & nasopharynx.
And the sense of irritation in throat can be attributed to the spread of infection or serous fluid from middle ear through this Eustachian tube.
Local examination of the ear along with tests like Audiometry & Tympanometry will help in clinching the diagnosis & determining the degree of hearing loss.
Depending upon this, further steps for management can be taken. will be better to consult an ENT specialist for further evaluation & exclusion of other causes of hearing loss.
Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.