Have swollen clitoris and pain. Hurts while sitting. No secretion and no pain in urination. Suggest?

Mar 2013
Hi I am 25 yrs old and weigh 80st. I have experienced a swollen clitoris over the last 2 days and the pain has grown over the last day. It hurts to sit down/cross my legs. My clitoris is rock hard however there is no secretion just normal vaginal discharge. There is no pain in urination or abnormal smells/itching. I masturbated 2 days ago- could this be the cause? Thanks
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the image you have attached, and the following possibilities exist -
1. Following vigorous sexual intercourse or masturbation, the clitoris gets engorged due to arousal, and it might sometimes take a few days for the swelling to subside, thought that is rare. A fingernail could cause a small cut, and a minor blood vessel could bleed, leading to swelling with pain. If you used a vibrator or insertion device, chances of such injury are more.
2. This could be the beginning of an abscess ( infection ) in the area. If you have preexisting genital, vaginal or urinary infection, during masturbation, it is possible for the clitoris to get involved. Also, surrounding infected hair follicle could create an abscess in this area.
3. The area is quite common for the occurrence of a Bartholin's cyst. This might too get infected or abraded during masturbation, leading to pain and swelling.
4. Allergic reaction to fabric, toilet paper, perfumed or medicated cleansers and soap, latex, tampons etc. might cause such reactionary swelling. Tight underpants might further aggravate this.
5. A rare condition is clitoral priapism. Priapism is defined as a persistent and painful erection of penile or clitoral tissue with a duration of more than six hours and is not associated with sexual arousal. It leads to pain and swelling in the clitoral area, particularly if you failed to have an orgasm.

At this point of time, I would recommend you to wait and observe. You can soak in XXXXXXX warm with essential oils (lavender oil); use aloe vera soothing gels or cold compresses, and see if the swelling subsides. If the swelling and pain increases and do not go away within a day or two, plan a visit to your gynecologist for detailed examination.
Do not use any OTC cream or medication, as it might exacerbate the issue.
Wear loose fitting cotton undergarments.
Avoid washing / rubbing / douching /cleaning vigorously while bathing.
Avoid masturbation / sexual intercourse till you are relieved.
Ensure you trim your fingernails.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.