Have swollen chapped red lips. Prescribed lozenges. Have been using counter lip treatments. could it be from sun burn?

I have had swollen chapped red lips for about 3-4 weeks now. They seem to go through a process that after they burn and are red and swollen, then they start peeling slightly and seem to get better but just for a couple of days and then it starts again?? Went to a doctor today and they just swabbed my tongue to test for thrush -- it was negative. She just gave me a prescription for lozenges for antifungal treatment of thrush (which is what I didn't have...???). It was $90 so I didn't get them. I do not get cold sores or canker sores and this is not the first time I've had this. I do typically keeps lots of stuff on my lips including lipstick (though now right now). Have been using over the counter lip treatments and I always keep lanolin hydrous on hand (usually use at night). Don't really have allergies of the skin and have not had any foods that I don't normally eat. Could it be from a bad sunburn of the lips - they are sensitive and I was out in the sun some but not that long to get a bad sunburn. Help!
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Yes, based on your history this could be due to sunburn. You can apply lip balm containing SPF 30. Triamicilone .1% at night daily for a week can give additional benefits. Watch the progress of symptom with this treatment.

It should subside with steroid and lip balms. If it persists, then you can to rule out recurrent angioedema.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have further queries.

Follow-up: Have swollen chapped red lips. Prescribed lozenges. Have been using counter lip treatments. could it be from sun burn? 19 hours later
Can I get Triamicilone over the counter? Since this has gone on for 3+ weeks I'm kinda ruling out the sunburned lips. What is angioedema? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for reply.

In answer to your first question,i would like to suggest that, yes you get 0.1%Triamcinolone Acetonide oral paste over the counter.

It is used for local application in and around the mouth,or where the symptoms are present.

Angioedema is redness and swelling of lips due to local vasodilatation of vessels in that area.

It can be due to heredity,allergy, any past dental work,drug induced or idiopathic in nature.

Complete blood examination along with routine clinical examination helps in exact diagnosis.

In that case you need to visit your oral pathologist.

Hope this helps.please let me know for further query.