Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swollen and sensitive gums after teeth extraction. Can penicillin be taken?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I had 3 teeth extracted 3 weeks ago and then an abcess for which I was given antibiotics. Now my gums are still slightly swollen, and very sensitive. It's diff. to wear temp. plate as a result. I don't see my dentist for a week. Someone gave me a bottle of penicillin V 800,000un. from Mexico. I don't know if I should use them or how to. Thx.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dear XXXXX, Hello, If gums are swolle Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Hello, If gums are swollen and very sensitive do not take self medicate with penicillin. You can anti-inflammatory tablets like Ibuprofen+paracetamol for a day or two. Get it checked by your dentist. Hope this suggestion helps you, if you have anything to be clarified you are most well-come Wish you speedy recovery with warm regrads