Have swollen and painful knee. Noticed bump on it. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, so recently my knee has been acting up and has become swollen to the point that i find a lot of pain and discomfort put weight directly on it (e.g. kneeling), and this morning i realized that there was a bump and i scratched at it and it popped and there was pus exiting from the wound. I was wondering if this is something that I need to go to a clinic to take care of or if this will resolve itself in the future. It is currently still slightly swollen and there is still some blood that exits from the wound
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

After gone through your present complaint and previous history, it seems that scab formed after your recent injuries over knee got infected. So that your knee become swollen, tender and pus coming out of scratched wound.

I suggest you to consult a doctor as soon as possible for a detailed examination of wound. If on aspiration of swelling pus comes out, it requires incision and drainage and pus sent for culture and sensitivity so that appropriate antibiotic can be started.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health....