Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swollen and numb tongue. Experiencing itchy fingers tip. Should I be concerned?

I woke up this morning and the tip of my tongue is numb, like it's badly burned, and hard to the touch and looks swollen. The very tip is red and the next color is a very pale pink, then the color is normal for the rest of the tongue where there is no change in feeling.

Is happened before, but never been any physical changes, only the feeling and it went away in a day.

I didn't bite it or have any trauma. And didn't eat anything new. I got gel nails put on my nails last night. I've done it for years, but I have been experiencing itchy finger tips the last few times I went.

Anything to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 42 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us,
I would like you to know that sometimes due to intake of hot drinks or even spicy food our tongue tends to get burns from it therefore the color difference is visible.

It is a condition wherein temporary loss of taste sensations occurs,it usually reverts back to normal within 2-3days.
It is not at all related to itchy finger tips therefore do not worry,
Avoid hot and spicy foods for a while ,until tongue heals completely.
If you have any further questions kindly post them here,
I hope this answer was useful,
I wish you good health.