Have swollen and blocked nostril. What treatment should be done?

ENT Specialist
My right nostril is blocked almost 24 hrs a day. I'm not sick. i feel great but when i tilt my head back and look at my face in the mirror the outside of my right nostril is swollen, no colour or bruising just seems to be swollen. and when i touch it i cant feel bone like i can on the other side. its actually favouring my upper lip more then it is my cheeks. so not swollen nasal glans. so there is a lump or swelling under my alar fibrofatty tissue. side note. Im a healthy 25yr old, 140 pound male.
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma. On the basis of information provided i and the photograph it appears that you that there is thickening of the right ala at the point of its attachment with face. There is some asymmetry of two nostrils. I have some questions to answer your query

1. I would like to ask you if it is there for week or ten days or it is there over the years. If it is there for a longer duration is it increasing gradually or same as it was years back?
2. Is there any nasal obstruction?
3. Excessive nasal discharge?
4. Off and on sneezing?
5. Nasal bleeding?
6. Any problem with ability to smell?
7. Any X XXXXXXX of CT scan done in past? If yes what did the report say?

I am waiting for your answers. It will help me in responding to your query in a better way

With regards
Ravinder Sharma
Professor ENT
Follow-up: Have swollen and blocked nostril. What treatment should be done? 21 hours later
Thank you for the reply. to answer your questions
1. I have had this for about 3 months with no sign of it increasing in size
2. no nasal obstruction
3. no excessive nasal discharge
4. I do sneeze often
5. no bleeding
6. i can still smell fine
7. no scan or test of any sort done in the past.

i can not feel anything when i put my finger inside my nostril. just on the outside of my face.
Thanks for a follow up of your query
On the basis of answers received it appears the disease process is involving skin and subcutaneous tissue of the face and nose or asymmetry is because of deviated nasal septum. But the duration of symptoms for 6 months is not supporting deviated nasal septum as a diagnosis.

It may have a link with the disease in nose or sinuses. As the symptoms are not suggestive of a disease of nose and sinuses I would advise you for
1. CECT scan of Paranasal sinuses and nose from the tip of nose to nasopharynx (coronal) and from hard palate to sphenoid sinus (axial)
2. It appears there is a illdefined swelling and even palpation of that area is not suggestive of a localised swelling. Fine needle aspiration cytology will helps us in identifying the cause of this swelling.
3. ENT consultation

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it.

with warm regards
Ravinder Sharma