Have swelling within soft tissue of knee, have constant slight heat. Had fractured spine. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have medium to large swelling within my soft tissue of knee left side, range of movement is very small without pain.
sitting down or laying down or not moving at all is great except for constant slight heat in area. have had no injuries what so ever except fractured spine 30yrs ago with no abnormalties.
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Swelling in the left side of the knee with pain is likely to be a muscular or tendon swelling .

It can be due to an inflamed bursae. They are persistent ,soft generally don`t becomes tense and immobile with leg movement .

Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.
You can help the swelling and pain by taking following measures-
Use the RICE formula:
•Rest. Avoid putting weight on the painful leg.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
•Compression- you can tie a crepe bandage in the area for relief.
•Elevation- Keep the leg elevated on two pillows.
Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if you need more pain relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.