Have swelling, stiffness and pain on knee. Should I go for surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Need an opinion on treatment.
And a suggestion if surgery is required or if can be avoided if yes what medication will be recommeded.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 50 minutes later

I have gone through the reports attached. surgery can be avoided. You need at present knee strengthening exercises to strengthen the muscle around knee and physical therapy to reduce the swelling , stiffness and pain.
You can take antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.
Taking calcium and vit d3 supplements will also helpful.
Do hot fomentation and apply muscle relaxant gel to the area to reduce the stiffness and pain.
Avoid squatting and excessive stair climbing.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Follow-up: Have swelling, stiffness and pain on knee. Should I go for surgery? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your reply.
I experience quite a relief the days i do physio but the day i do swells and pains again. I do take the heating pad every night which does give temporary relief.

Can you please advise how long will it take to get cured / normal.
Currently I am only taking XXXXXXX - 200mg once in the morning.
Please also advise if any thing i need to include in my diet for betterment

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

It will take 2-4 weeks to get relief from swelling and pain.
Continue doing physiotherapy and heating pad to reduce swelling and stiffness.

Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium and vit D3. Include fresh fruit, green vegetable and diary products in your diet.

Hope this discussion was useful. Do write back if you have any more concern. Please close the discussion, if you have no further query. I will appreciate you review about this service.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta