Have swelling pain and bruise on hand and knuckle. Skin started peeling off. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've had a swollen bruised left hand/knuckle(pinky) that has had pain when touched for the past two weeks. The bruising is gone but I still have swelling on my knuckle that still hurts to touch and now the skin is starting to peel off. From what I remember I didn't strike or crush my hand off of anything that would have caused the swelling. Any help would be great
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 1 hour later

After reading your symptoms I strongly feel that the swelling and bruise may be caused by an injury. To rule out any fracture, i would suggest that you get a diagnostic X-ray done. If it is positive for a fracture, you need to consult an orthopedic surgeon for the treatment. If its negative, then mostly it is cold fomentation. If required, you can take a pain killer to reduce the pain.

If the swelling does not reduce in another 8 -10 days then I would recommend you to consult a surgeon for the same.

Hope you feel better soon.