Have swelling on wrist. Suspected for ganglion or mass accumulated. Surgery needed?

General Surgeon
I have a swelling/Lump in my right arm wrist Doctors suggests it might be ganglion or Mass acumulated and I need to undergo a outdoor surgery.
They want to admit me for a day ie morning time and discharge me by evening.
Could you please guide me with your second opinion

P.S.: The cost suggested by them for the same is 0000 rupees.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Ganglion is quite common lump on the wrist. Quite characteristic for ganglion is that it appears above the area where the joint is. It is because ganglion is caused by joint substance accumulation under the skin. This happens because of unnatural connection between the joint and the soft tissues (some kind of hernia).
Ganglion should be soft in touch (filled with jelly substance), sometimes can be painful.
Other possible reason of this lump can be sebaceous cyst or lipoma. Both lesions are benign and does not cause any danger to your life or cancer risk.
If your doctors are not sure what exactly it is, you may ask for an ultrasound of this area, what should give some answers.

There are few methods of ganglion treatment: needle puncture and evacuation of jelly substance, steroids injection or surgical removal. From this 3 methods, surgical removal has the best long term effects and gives less recurrences than other 2 methods.

The procedure is quite simple. A small incision is made in the area where the lump is present and it is removed. All is done with local anesthesia so no pain should be present. With this anesthesia, there is no need to stay at the hospital for longer than a day.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.