Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swelling on upper gums near wisdom teeth, feels like water bed. What can be done?

The other day I woke up and my upper gums back towards my wisdom teeth were swollen, but it feels like a swollen water bed (liquidy inside). I left a message for my dentist but he isn't in until Monday. Is this something serious where I should call his emergency number or do you think it would be safe for me to live with until Monday?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 44 minutes later
Hello there,

Welcome to the forum,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that you have developed an inflammation of the gums surrounding your wisdom tooth known as Pericoronitis.
This area is difficult to clean and often invites bacterial infection leading to redness, inflammation and swelling of the overlying gums.

I would suggest you to take an OPG radiograph of the tooth when you XXXXXXX the Dentist and plan for the extraction of the wisdom tooth. Best treatment for pericoronitis is extraction of wisdom tooth.

As you cannot see the Dentist right now; don't worry, till Monday you can start with a course of antibiotics and analgesics under prescription of your Dentist. According to your condition antibiotic such as amoxicillin along with antiinflammatory pain killers such as Aceclofenac serrotiopeptidase combination will be helpful.

Until then take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses 3-4 times daily to give a soothing effect. Take antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily to prevent super infection.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Wish you a speedy recovery,

If you have any further queries, I will be glad to answer.

Take care!
Dr Qazi.
Follow-up: Have swelling on upper gums near wisdom teeth, feels like water bed. What can be done? 3 hours later
Thank you. My dentist's office actually called me about an hour or so ago and said that they were in fact in and I could come right in. You were right. He said my gun was infected and the tooth needed to come out. Thankfully my wisdom tooth has always been odly small (after he pulled it out it was literally the size of a cornel of it came out easily. I appreciate your help.

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 6 minutes later
Thanks for the reply,

Its very nice to hear that you have completed the treatment smoothly.
Follow the post extraction instructions given by your Dentist properly.
If you dont have any further queries please close the discussion.

I wish you good health!

Dr Qazi.
Follow-up: Have swelling on upper gums near wisdom teeth, feels like water bed. What can be done? 2 hours later
I'm sorry but I have one further question about this topic. My doctor gave me a perscription for 500 mg of Vicodin should I have any pain. I'm still feeling okay today and may not even need them tomorrow or after. But I am going on a job interview Wednesday at either 1:30 or 3:00 (can't remember the exact time so I'm giving you both just to be safe. If they are interested in you as a candidate they usually send you to a lab right away for a urine test. If I did need just one only for tonight or tomorrow and no day closer, would I show a dirty urine? I know I can always give the employer a Dr.'s note, but I just don't want to have to go through all that if the answer is simply "just avoid taking even one tomorrow cause it will stay in your system even into Wednesday. I am female and weight about 117lbs.
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 6 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for the reply,

If you are having the legal prescription of vicodin, tell whoever is testing show them the prescription. The drug can show up in the urine for 3-4 days, it may or may not come up in the test. Or else avoid the drug and take tab Aceclofenac TDS under your Dentist prescription.

Hope this answered your query,
Wish you good luck!

Dr Qazi!