Have swelling on thumb with darkening at tip, took antihistamine. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I just noticed, swelling on my right thumb with darkening at the tip. I have not slammed or hit my thumb on anything. As a precaution, I did take an antihistamine.
Also my thumb feels warm. Could it be some sort of spider bite?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Not just spider can be any other insect's bite, minor trauma or allergy to certain materials or soaps that thumb was in contact with. for now,just apply some cold compresses and keep your arm elevated.
Swelling and warmness can be sign of allergy reaction and in this case it should pass in 24 hours. If not,it may indicate infection especially if there is spreading redness,fever, pain and pus formation. in this case you ll need antibiotic treatment so have that on mind. If thumb turns blue or pale, then there could be decreased blood flow in arms and you should do doppler ultrasound to evaluate this.

If there is breathing difficulty, nausea, headache,loss of sensation in thumb and loss of motility, you should visit ER as soon as possible.
Wish you good health.If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.