Have swelling on lips and body parts. Cause?

Hi Doctor,
I have a swelling on my lips and some body parts. It will appear frequently.
Is that because of any allergy? Please confirm and suggest a solution for that.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This condition is known as Angiodema.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Swelling on the lips and other body parts indicates that you are most probably suffering from Angiodema & urticaria.In this condition swelling on the lips and red colored raised lesions on the body are associated with itching too.This condition can be due to allergy to food items or any medicines .Rarely such condition can be autoimmune and can be associated with thyroid problem or other autoimmune condition .Also urticaria can be due to any hidden infection in the body like may be a worm in the stomach or a tooth decay.This should also be treated .

You can go for immunological skin testing for allergy .Mostly it is seen that one is allergic to vegetables which have seeds in them , like brinjal ,beans ,lady finger etc. Kindly avoid such things and also preserved food items (canned foods) .

In such conditions we I usually prescribe antihistamine tablets like levocetrizine with monteleukast ,cetrizine ,fexofenadine etc.This needs to be taken daily for a long period . In sever cases we add short course of oral steroids too.But these drugs are prescription based medicines and can only be prescribed by a registered dermatologist .The dose of these medicines depends upon the severity of the problem.
Kindly keep a record of things which you eat in day to day to basis ,so that you are able to guess the cause of your allergy .

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.