Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swelling on left cheek, it looks like a sac hanging. What could be this?

My husband has swelling on his left cheek, down his left side of throat and it looks like a sac hanging in front of his throat on his front collar bone
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that infection is associated with a swelling. As the swelling is huge and hanging, it is most probably from an infected tooth or may be a salivary gland inflammation.

In order to differentiate the two, we will have to check your oral cavity thoroughly.
I will advise you to see your dentist soon,either an oral surgeon or an oral pathologist.

If possible you may check for a decayed tooth in your husbands mouth - gums around the tooth will be swollen and tooth sensitivity will be present. If none of this exists then it could be the salivary gland condition.

I hope this answer was useful. Kindly write back if you have any further queries,

I wish you and your husband good health,