Have swelling on face and neck. Hurts to swallow and breath. Took ibuprofen. Having night sweats

Jan 2013

Hi, I am an 18 year old female. The right side of my face & neck are swollen, It hurts to swallow and breathe. I have taken some Ibuprofen to help relieve the pain. I have been having night sweats quite frequently for the past 2 nights and waking up in cold sweats. I have been getting hot and cold flushes during the day. I feel nauseated when i swallow sometimes. When I drink water or anything else that is cold, there is no relief, it still makes me nauseated.
Please Help. ThankYou.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 55 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be high possibility of upper respiratory tract infection with involvement of parapharyngeal or retropharyngeal space.
Muscle ache and vomiting could be due to involvement of gastrointestinal tract or a prodromal symptom of generalized systemic infection.
Presence of swelling on right side of face and neck with difficulty in swallowing suggests the diagnosis.
There could also be possibility that tonsils are acting as infectious focus as you have already suffered from tonsillitis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, x XXXXXXX cervical spine, laryngoscopy and CT/ MRI scan neck for better evaluation of your status.
You should urgently contact with concerned doctor and should go for detail investigations.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis. Surgical intervention may also be required.
Meanwhile, you should take complete antibiotic therapy, antiemetics, antipyretics and decongestants on written prescription.
Perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Avoid cold drinks, oily food and curd.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava