Ask a Dentist   »  

Have swelling on cheek. Noticed darkness in the sinus cavity. Could it be sinus related?

Hi I notced last week what seems to be a swelling under/behind my right cheek not severe just feels like the skin is tight. I had dental extractions done last year and there are no teeth in the area of the swelling. I went to the dentist yesterday to see it I might have an abscessed tooth. They took xrays and saw no signs of abscess. He did notice a darkness in the sinus cavity area on the back side of one tooth which is in the area of the swelling . He thought maybe it could be sinus related. I don't seem to have any drainage discharge - no fever etc. Wondering if it could be sinus blockage - a duct or something. Thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
It doesn't look due sinus infection . Sinus infection presents as nasal blockage or rhinitis. It will never present as a localised swelling
As per your description lesion is in area of parotid or submadibular gland. There is possibility of blockage of duct of either gland. It may cause swelling of gland. Another possibility is enlarged lymphnodes in that region.
I will suggest consult a board certified ENT SPECIALIST OR SURGEON. No need to consult a dentist because there is no chance of abscess due remote tooth extraction. You may need ultrasonography of that region for exact characterisation of lesion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Have swelling on cheek. Noticed darkness in the sinus cavity. Could it be sinus related? 6 hours later
Thankyou for the reply. The swelling seems to be right below the cheek bone along the side and not towards the temporomandibular joint. Based on your reply I'm going to say its parotid/duct related. Last year I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed in that area and wonder if that was affected.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
It is very less likely that after 1 year there is complication of tooth extraction. If the swelling is exactly below the cheek bone then it must be parotid gland swelling.
There are multiple causes of parotid swelling ranging from just infection, duct obstruction to any tumour. In any case ultrasonography is investigation of choice. You need to consult your physician for proper examination. Then only further line of management can be decided.

Hope I have answered your query.