Have swelling in perineum. Having reddish discharge near anus. Diagnosis?

i have a swelling in my perineum and am having a redish discharge near my anus but not coming out of my visible blood in my stool.if i press the swollen area,i can cause the discharge to occur.diagnosis?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abscess/local infection/Fistula.Need evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

Swelling and discharge near the anus may be due to the following cause
1. Any abscess in the perineum due to hair follicle or sweat gland infection. This is the common cause for swelling near perineum. If this is the case you may suffer from severe pain in perineum region and may associate with fever with chills and rigors. Needs to drain pus completely and requires antibiotic.

2. Fistula/Sinus: This may occur due to any pathology in rectum and will usually have a history of constipation/anal fissure or any other symptoms in anorectal region. Needs examination for diagnosis and further management.

There are many other reasons for swelling near perineum but the above mentioned are the common causes I see among my patients.
For now you need to keep the area clean and dry. Clean with betadine lotion to prevent any infection and don't squeeze it. Do sitz bath and consult your doctor once to diagnose the problem as the management differs from each disease.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.