Have swelling in legs, high diastolic blood pressure. Chest pain after taking micardis, hctz. Serious?

I was seen in the ER for hi diastolic blood pressure on Monday. The doctor added HCTZ to my micardis 40 mg because I was having swelling in my ankles. I believe the HCTZ is giving me tachycardia and chest pains. Is this serious?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for your query,

I have gone through your history, and you are having Essential Hypertension and developed swelling over feet.
I presume your BP is well controlled with Micardis 40 mg.
Hydrochlorthiazide is a diuretic and helps to remove salt and water from body hence removes edema and also helps to reduce blood pressure.
Hydrochlorthiazide is a relatively safe drug and although tachycardia is reported in <2%, for chest pain to be on safer side please get an EKG done to see everything is fine.

If you are concerned too much then report to your Physician and if required it can be replaced with an alternative drug.

This should be useful to you, If you have any further query please revert back to me, I will be available for clarification if any.

Dr A. Dubey M.D.