Have swelling in head after falling in bathroom and hit head. What to do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi doc, i fell down in the bathroom and i hit my head and its swelling what should i do?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
You should visit hospital if there was loss of consciousness,amnesia or loss of memory for the event, if you are dizzy, confused or sleepy and if there is headache and vomiting.
Also, if you are older than 60 or less than 10 (i see you are not) or you take anticoagulant therapy.

If you dont have these symptoms and there is no open wound then this was obviously just minor hit and there is no need for xray examination if you ask me.
It is to expect certain degree of pain at area of swelling and it should pull back in 24-72 hours. Just apply ice compresses and rest,avoid light and noise in next 24 hours. If you notice any of these signs I ve mentioned or pain and swelling persists then seek medical help.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards