Have swelling in groin area. Disappears when lying down. Bowel movement is also bad. What could it be?

General Surgeon
Squelchy selling right hand side of groin.dissapears when I lie down.not painful out of breath easy .toilet movements not good. Diagnosed Ibs recently
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Inguinal hernia. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Most likely your symptoms are caused by inguinal hernia. Due to a kind of hole in the abdominal wall intestines and fat are protruded in to a groin area. It usually gives a lump and/or pain in that area. The lump can be more visible when standing and coughing and disappear when laying down. I suggest you to consult general surgeon. In case of doubts ultrasound should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.