Have swelling from the middle of the chest when I lie flat. Is this a arterial hernia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
when i lie flat on my back my middle chest protudes out and upwards ,from mid of chest center downwards towards my navell is this a arterial hernia? i am 65 yr old male
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The swelling from the middle of the chest is likely to be a soft tissue swelling. Such a large swelling is not likely to be due to an arterial hernia. Herniation in the middle of the chest wall is uncommon.
Costochondritis can cause an inflammatory swelling but it is associated with pain.
The best way to get the swelling diagnosed is to get it examined by a physician and go for an MRI scan which will help in detecting any deficiency or maldevelopment of the chest wall.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.