Have swelling below knee. Used ice, massage and elevation. What can be done further?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Swelling (edema) below knee after a fall 2 weeks ago. I have used ice, massage, leg elevation 30minutes 3to4 times a day. I also wear a elastic bandage from foot to knee (can not use support stockings).
How long should this last? What are the options if it does not disappear?
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
The swelling below the knee that you are having is likely to be related to a soft tissue injury usually takes 3-4 weeks to resolve.
1. Give enough rest to your leg. Avoid climbing stairs or squatting positions till acute pain subsides completely.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help. You can consult your orthopedician for prescriptions.
4. Hot compresses to your leg and foot will be useful pain relieving measure. You may continue using elastic bandage and elevation.
This should slowly subside with hot fomentation and proper rest.
In case, It does not subside on its own or it is associated with severe pain, and increase in swelling around the area, it could indicate a tear of one of the muscle fibres.
In that case, you might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have swelling below knee. Used ice, massage and elevation. What can be done further? 11 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt answer.

Can I use an heating pad instead of hot fomentation?
Should I stop using ice?
The pain is very mild.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
After two weeks of injury, it is better to use a heating pad rather then icing.
The mild pain will subside by the heating pad and local analgesic gels. You can get some anti inflammatory medicines prescribed from your physician for an early relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.