Have swelling and redness at top of foot. Took ibuprofen but no help. What could i be?

Apr 2014

I woke up this morning to the top of one foot feeling like it was on fire. At the time there was redness, but wasn't hot to touch. 3 hours later I realized my shoe was feeling tight, and found my foot swollen to twice its normal height (top of foot only area affected), very red, the skin was tight and extremely hot to touch. The swelling and redness does not extend to the ankle or above- just the top of foot. After taking ibuprofen and elevating the foot while at my desk, none of the symptoms have decreased, and it is now (10.5 hours after waking up) extremely painful to walk. I've thoroughly inspected the affected area and can't see a puncture or bite mark indicating a spider or bug bite. I'm 31, female, am a smoker, not on birth control, have an active lifestyle, don't have to sit for long periods at work, and I was on a long flight just under 2 weeks ago. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DVT and cellulitis should be excluded. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX From history it seems that you are either suffering from DVT(Deep vein thrombosis) or Cellulitis as history is very short. You didn't mentioned about history of fever. Cellulitis may be associated with fever if infection is spread.Bite mark by insects is not always detected as these are generally very small.So,Cellulitis should be excluded and if it is suspected then proper course of antibiotics should be given along with anti inflammatory drugs. DVT should also be ruled out.Smoking is a risk factor in your case.It can be confirmed by Venous Doppler of leg. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Other investigations include routine hemogram,RBS. Further investigations can be done if needed. So,you should consult surgeon. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX