Have swelling and red spots on foot and ankles. History of gout. What should I do?

My feet and ankels are swollen and appears to be moving up my legs. Today I noticed red splotches on the left foot and red spots on the right foot. I have had a history of gout in the past, but have been on medication and not had an attack in many years. I will be 64 next month. email YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 37 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You need to see your doctor.
Gout causes focal swelling / it won't move up...

The usual causes for the swelling on both sides are - Heart (Congestive Heart failure) / Kidney / Liver / Low protein, anaemia / varicose veins, deep venous insufficiency or obstruction higher up / very low thyroid (myxedema)

You will need examination / ECG / Lab tests - kidney and Liver function, thyroid / Doppler of the leg veins..

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck