Have swelling and pain on upper thigh. Felt lump after touching. Any thoughts?

Hello. I am a woman 49 years old. For two days I felt a pain on my outer thigh, like if I had hit myself with something but there was no bruise or change of colour on my skin. Checked my other leg to see if there was any swelling but both felt the same. Today I woke up, still with the pain, now hurting when I moved the leg, and found it to be swollen. Touching it it feels like a small lump, oval, it hurts to touch it, but my skin looks normal, no redness or heat. Could you help me?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 56 minutes later

Increasing Pain

All this suggest some infection at the site. The reason could be some unnoticed trauma, some injury to the muscle fibres due to stretching, skin infection etc.

Please do the following which should help.

Take analgesic tablet that you are comfortable with. It will help in reducing pain and swelling.
Apply some topical antibiotic cream that you have.
Avoid pressure on the part.

Please wait for couple of days.

You need to consult your doctor if

The pain in constantly increasing
Increasing redness

I hope this helps.