Have swelling and pain on ankle. History of achilles tear. Looking for medical cure

My husband has ankle swelling and pain with no known injury. Pain is high --he compared to his Achilles pain. In the past he has Achilles tear on the same foot. Recently had a flight and the pain and swelling are worse and cannot walk or drive now? He is traveling and does not know what type of care to seek. We have no medical insurance?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that your husband is travelling and doesn't have a medical insurance. Such type of pains will surely cause a lot of discomfort.
He had an Achilles tear on the same foot and once there is an Achilles tear, it predisposes the person for a similar tear in the future as well. The other possibility is a trauma. I know that you have stated that there was no trauma, but trauma can be trivial sometimes without the knowledge.
Now what to do:
Pain and swelling suggest inflammation and we need to get the inflammation down. Firstly try to give the foot as much rest as possible. Try to elevate it above the ground, by placing some pillows below his ankle while on bed.
He should get some cold fomentation by applying ice packs.
NSAIDS like paracetamol and ibuprofen are available OTC and these medications will reduce the inflammation and pain as well.
These are certain remedies that can be done without visiting the doctor.
The moment it is possible , do visit a doctor who can do an ultrasound and an X-ray of your ankle.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.