Have swelling and pain in neck. Not cured by tylenol and ibuprofen. Should I get tested?

General Surgeon
Neck PainI have a pain in my neck behind my jaw and in front of where the lymph nodes are on the right side of my neck. It hurts to look up or down, left or right. Painful even when I am not moving, but worse when I do. Touching it causes more pain. It is swollen a bit. Ive tried otc tylenol and ibuprofen, no help. Heating pad helped somewhat. I am 29, female. I wasnt doing anything exceptional when it started yesterday afternoon and it has gotten worse. I was told in August that I had nodules show up on a ct scan of my lungs and neck. I am not sure what to do. If I should get it checked out of if it is likely just a muscle.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Most likely this is some kind of inflammation process in mentioned area. It can be caused by tooths infection, saliva gland infection or throat infection. You should definetely visit your doctor and probably antibiotics are necessary (clindamycin for example).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.