Have swelling and pain in knee. What can I take to reduce inflammation around the knee?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
There is a slight swelling and pain in my right knee. Cant bend the knee fully and also painful while getting up from a sofa. According to physiotherapist the muscles around the knee is weak and suggests knee strenghtening exercises, have already started, but still no complete relief from pain. On taking zerodol P there is relief. What can i take to reduce inflamation around the knee. Xrays show mild osteoarthritic changes in knee.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
From your symptoms it seems that your right knee joint has undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily to the pain killer you are already taking. This will take care of your mild symptoms.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.