Have swelling and lump under chin, weird veins on upper thigh. History of breast cancer. What is this?

havent been feeling well.. got my first coldsore ever last week i have a pea sized lump under my chin along with swe;lling.. and the last few days i have weird veins on my upper thighs?? is it all related whats up??.. no fever but i feel feverish..
a little history.. breast cancer 2009.. new job up early 1am in work by 3 and on feet all day..shouldnt be a problem been doing this all my life.. stressful job though and it could make me or break me.. so stressed out yes.. thats why i thought the cold sore.. but then the lump that does not roll around.. and the veins??? weird
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 34 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

If this is the first cold sore that you have ever had, then it is referred to as a 'primary infection'. As you probably know, cold sores are caused by a herpes virus. In primary herpes infections, it is not uncommon for them to be accompanied by a mild flu-like illness. The lump under your chin is probably a small lymph node. None of this is related to your breast cancer from what you are telling me.

With regard to the veins on your legs, I have no way to explain this. It is almost certainly unrelated to your history or the current infection. It sounds like a separate issue. But if it persists or worsens, I would get it checked out.

Finally, herpes infections CAN be treated so that the course of the infection is shortened and there is less pain - talk to your doctor about Valtrex.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions!
Follow-up: Have swelling and lump under chin, weird veins on upper thigh. History of breast cancer. What is this? 26 minutes later
so if the cold sore causes flu like syptoms along with the lyph nodes... did i contract herpes somewhere down the road? my boyfriend gets coldsores but i have never gotten one from him.. primary infection? meaning the first time or a different type of cold sore?? im gonna go to the doctors anyway tomorrow i just nwanted somekind of an answer... also could i have gotten the coldsore due to stress?? i figured that was it but feeling lousy i didnt...will i get them all the time now??.. anyway thank you and take care
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
If you boyfriend has a history of cold sores, and you have had any direct contact with him, then you likely got this from him. Even when he does NOT have an active cold sore, there are still times when he has virus that is "shedding". This is a term that means he is infectious in the absence of outward symptoms. This is a common situation with genital herpes as well.

Primary infection means that you never had a cold sore before, and you were newly infected with the herpes virus. This manifest as a flu-like illness and a sore on your lip. This was likely picked up from your boyfriend in the week or two preceding the infection. This is the best explanation.

Cold sores tend to re-occur in the setting of stress, sun-exposure, etc. You do not get the actual cold-sore from stress itself - you have to get it from another person.

It is variable person-to-person how often they re-occur. You might only get them a few times per year. Talk with your doctor about medicine you can take when you develop symptoms in the future.

Good luck tomorrow!