Have swelling all over body and goes after rest, scalp had scabby sore. Used anti fungal hairwash. Lupus?

I think I might have lupus?
I rest all weekend because my body swells during the week and I can gain ten pounds just by going to work everyday. So I rest for two days and the swelling goes away and the ten pounds too.
My scalp had scabby sore but my dermo gave me antifugal hair wash and it's help but the hair thinned out on top, not bald but I can clearly see the scalp, so I wear it to the side
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
None of your symptoms suggest Lupus

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

You have stated that you gain weight while you work and loose it on resting. Now there can be plenty of reasons for such a complaint. The most common reason is anemia which causes pedal oedema causing increase in weight. One needs to do a CBC to confirm it.
The other possibility is hypothyroidism. A TSH level is diagnostic in such a case. A echocardiography of the heart will also be useful.
However your symptoms do not match to that of lupus.
Regarding the sore on your head. If that has responded to antifungal shampoo then you need not bother.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Have swelling all over body and goes after rest, scalp had scabby sore. Used anti fungal hairwash. Lupus? 11 minutes later
How does one go about getting tested for lupus? Because I think if you saw my face and skin, it would be either lupus or roscea, and with the joint pain, hot spots over areas of my body, peripheral numbing and pain, lump on hand and leg. loss of hair, it is multiple scabby sores that are first lumpy, then scabby, then leave a dent in the skin.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antinuclear antibody Test

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing the add on symptoms which you have not stated previously.
The symptoms do not fit directly into SLE but yes they are suggestive of the same and that needs to be investigated.
For investigating SLE, XXXXXXX test (Anti Nuclear Antibody test) is very useful. This test detects the antinuclear antibodies which are in abundant in SLE. The other two specific variants are anti-Smith and anti-double stranded DNA (dsDNA) antibodies and anti-histone antibodies. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are highly specific for SLE; they are present in 70% of cases, whereas they appear in only 0.5% of people without SLE.
Other older tests are not that sensitive and specific to diagnose SLE.
Hope that helps
Dr. Srikanth Reddy