Have sweaty armpit and bad smell coming from vagina. What is the disease called?

Hi i have a problem in that my crotch often smells like very bad sweaty armpitt smell even immediately washing
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The persistent foul smell from the vagina is commonly associated with a vaginal infection- mostly bacterial with a superadded fungal infection.

Such infections in female genital tract are notorious for recurrence. Once you contact this infection, it should be treated vigorously with oral antibiotics and antifungal agents.

Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination and a vaginal swab culture.

The persistent bad odor in your case is most likely due to the incomplete treatment. The local anti fungal creams are not sufficient for full cure.

You can take some general measures to decrease the smell-
1. Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments every day. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging and panty hose every day.
2. Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3. Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.