Have swallowing difficulty. How to eat and get enough nutrients? Excessive burping. Have IBS

ENT Specialist
I want to know how to eat and get enough nutrients if i have a swallowing difficulty. NO one can get to the bottom of it.

its very debilitating and depressing.

years ago ENT doctor looked down my throat he said stress.

Its been 6 years. and no improvement and no changes..

symptoms are excessive burping. constant swallowing. food getting stuck..loud croaking and rocky noises when i swallow
sometimes sneezing .sometimes pleghmy feeling.
recently underwent endoscopy.
found IBS
ps can i have any alcohol with my medications?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The entire throat (pharynx) and voice box (larynx) is formed of and suspended between our skull, spine and chest by various sets of muscles and ligaments.

2. All these structures move and glide over neighboring structures during swallowing, breathing, speaking and movements of the neck and head.

3.Any sudden movement, spasm of any muscle (often due to stress) or swallowing with a dry, dehydrated or inflamed throat may cause the feeling of something snapping inside. This feeling may also occur when the cartilages of the throat and voice box grind against the spine or other ligaments. I am not sure if you are experiencing an abnormal muscle movement much after swallowing like a regurgitation or a reverse peristalsis. There are many rare conditions that may cause this such as esophageal webs, pharyngeal pouches, cricopharyngeal muscle spasm ans so on. I have no idea as to your weight, blood tests (such as hemolglobin and thyroid function tests), sinus CT or any means of direct observation. Chronic acid reflux may be a contributing cause of the irritation and spasms in the throat.

4. If your pain is not subsiding with muscle relaxants and antispasmodics (you are already on ant-reflux medication), you may get the following investigations an videolaryngoscopy done:
a. Neck Ultrasound.
b. A videolaryngoscopy.
c. Barium Swallow study.
d. Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) / Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing with Sensory Testing (FEESST) are newer methods of evaluating swallowing problems.
e. Esophageal Manometry.

5. Rarely, this may be a side effect of your current medication such as PTU, Pariet and long term use of Mylanta. You may review this with your primary physician.

6. Alcohol is best avoided.

I hope, I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.