Ask a Urologist   »  

Have suspected urinary tract infection. Treated with bactrim. Given ciprofloxacin. Might be kidney infection. Suggest?

I have a suspected urinary tract infection that was treated with bactrim on 9/24. I did not feel better by the evening of 9/26 and went to an evening clinic. There, I was given ciprofloxacin 500 mg 2x daily for 7 days. I am still feeling the same urinary urgency. Also tablets are not easing the uncomfortable feeling either. At the evening clinic, my Wbc was 12.5 and area under ribs was tender. Dr thought I might be in the beginning of a kidney infection. I don't feel worse, but no better after3 full days on ciprofloxacin.

I would like to add that I am having some intermittent pain in my back- lower left area. I have used ask for the burning and urgency in the past and got relief, but this time it has not provided any relief.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most probably UTI

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the forum.
Symptoms point to UTI.
But i cant see a urine culture test result in your history.
It is better to get one done and appropriate antibiotics based on the test should be the answer.
Till then addition of the following medicines should help,
1. Flavoxate - urinary tract anti- spasmodic.
2. AZO - urinary tract analgesic - though it may cause red urine.
2. Anti-cholinergics - to ease the frequency.
You are welcome to ask your doubts if any.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Follow-up: Have suspected urinary tract infection. Treated with bactrim. Given ciprofloxacin. Might be kidney infection. Suggest? 8 minutes later
I meant to say that I am also taking azo tablets which have helped me in the past, but they aren't providing any relief at all this time. The dr didn't do a urine test on the first visit because my urine was discolored by the azo tablets. The second time I went, they decided not to culture the urine because I was on antibiotics already. Should I see dr again tomorrow? I have never had a uti not clear up within two days. I am very uncomfortable and having to try to urinate soon after I go.

Could I have a kidney stone down in the urinary tract?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stone in ureter is possible-----------------------

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Since there is no response, it is not wrong to do urine culture now - even though you are on antibiotics.
A small stone in the lower part of the ureter may sometimes cause the same symptoms. A radiograph and a ultrasound scan should help you decide the next step.
Get well soon---
Best regards