Have suspected endometriosis. Can I take norethisterone daily to stop menstrual bleeding?

Is 5mg of norethisterone once daily without a break, prevent bleeding? I have suspected endometriosis. Provera caused extreme dizziness and s marked drop in BP
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 26 minutes later
You can take tab norethisterone 5mg twice daily to stop bleeding. You should consult your doctor about the number of days to take the medication. If you are already on provera then you need not take norethisterone at the same time. If you are due to take provera again,but dont want to,then you can start norethisterone, as advised by your doctor.There are several regimens and after examination,your doctor can advised you about that.
Follow-up: Have suspected endometriosis. Can I take norethisterone daily to stop menstrual bleeding? 7 minutes later
I am only wanting to take 5mg od not bd. Is this dose enough to prevent bleeding?
I am no longer on provera because of the side effects I mentioned before.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Depending on the severity of the bleeding, od dose might prove insufficient and cause occasional break-through bleeding. In that case, you might need bd dose. You can start with od and increase upto tds per day if required.