Ask a Urologist   »  

Have suspected cystitus, took cystopurin. Now have lower back pain, near hips and abdomen, taking nurofen. Suggest?

good morning i have a question .. i recently had what i think was cystitus and i took cystopurin and it cleared up in 2 days. i now have lower back pain, occasionally i suffer with lower back pain and it is very lower back and sometimes out side of one of my hips and occasionally across my abdominan. i am taking nurofen now and using a hot water bottle, i have a cyst on my ovary , really small, would this be causing this??
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 8 days later
Brief Answer:
Pain could also be due to spine issues

Detailed Answer:
At this stage, it seems extremely unlikely that a small cyst in the ovary could be the cause of the trouble.
There is a significant possibility that you might have a spine or intervertebral disc problem which could be the reason for the pain. This pain is similar to kidney pain, except that apart from the moving from back to front of abdomen, the pain also radiates down the legs. This can be confirmed by an MRI scan and after the opinion of a neurosurgeon, but if you have no neurological deficit, i.e tingling pain in lower limbs with loss of sensation or a weakness of limbs with increased pain, the neurosurgeons might feel that an MRI is unnecessary expenditure.
Instead, what you can try in the meantime would be to avoid straining your back, avoid lifting heavy weights, avoid soft mattresses, and maybe use mild pain killers like Tramadol, which do not damage your stomach or kidneys. I normally feel uncomfortable asking my patients to take NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) drugs like Nurofen for long term - they have propensity to cause ulcers and kidney damage.
Hope I have been able to help you.