Have superficial chemical burn on penis. Fingered girl. Then touched penis with the same finger. Risk of HIV infection?

Dear Dr, Thanks for your good works on STD education and saving lives.
I want to know if am at risk of HIV. I have a 4 day superficial chemical burn on my penis that is healing. Was due to chemical reaction to a product. I went to a strip joint and had a lap dance with a girl with my cloths on, no penis exposed. I fingered the girl very lightly during the dance. ( only about 1/4 of the pointer finger for for less than a minute, Also squeezed the clitoris for like 3 minutes, deep / intense fingering not allowed in the club). However, few minutes after the dance, I went to the the toilet to PEE. I touched my penis / wound with the finger after, I then realized that Ohh, I had fingered a girl with this finger.. Will this be a risk for HIV and do I need to test for this.

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you experienced.

From the information you have provided, the chances of having HIV are very very low from this scene. However, because you might have had body fluid contact with someone whose HIV status is not known to be negative, you are at risk. No matter how small the risk/probability of contracting HIV from this encounter is, it is real and remains a possibility.

The best thing to do is to do a rapid diagnostic test now, if it is negative, you would know at least you did not have HIV before. If it turns out positive, then it is definitely from this encounter. Supposed it is negative now, do a follow up test in 3months and if it is still negative, then for real you do not have or did not contract HIV from this encounter. However, if it should be positive, then this encounter could be the cause.

Depending on your finances and availability, you may want to do a PCR test that can tell for real what your current status is within 3weeks rather than waiting for the long periods I have mentioned above. I am more confident that you did not get infected than that you were. However, we must do the complete investigations.

Please, always use protection during intercourse to guard against unwanted pregnancy and infections like STDs/HIV.

I hope you find this helpful, informative and educative. If you have any questions related to this query, please ask me and will gladly address them.
I wish you the best of outcome with this.
Dr. Ditah, MD.