Have sunburn on lip. Applying olive oil. Cure?

Dec 2013

This is a picture related to my lip condition.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
The problem is Post inflammatory hypopigmentation

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your reply.

As I can get the proper history of your problem, now I can straight forward say that your problem is simple "Post inflammatory hypopigmentation" or PIH. Now here in your case the condition aroused because of the deleterious effect of sunlight. Though it is unusual, but not uncommon to find the sunlight as main factor causing lip area to get mildly inflamed and then after healing, peeled off skin has whitish appearance and ultimately to Post inflammatory hypopigmentation.

As I stated earlier, the condition will be totally alright in next 3months of period and the lips will regain its colour without any medication. Otherwise also we do not prefer to give any sort of medications in this normal usual condition. You can continue applying olive oil.

The most important factor in your case is to prevent your lips from sun damage. So avoid direct sunlight by wearing hat or cap. You can also apply certain over the counter available medicated lip balms with sun protection factors in it (especially during day time). Eat a lot Vitamin A containing fruits such as papaya and green vegetables in diet which will help in preventing future episode by acting natural sunscreen.

I hope these information are helpful. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not, then can close the query and rate the answer.

"With good health wishes"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology