Have sugar in urine. Can prednisone cause this?

I have sugar or 500 in my urine. Is this very high? and can prednisone cause this? I do have a history of diabetes in my family. About three weeks ago I had high doses of steroids.about 1000 mg intravenously for my ms attack. But know I am on just 10mg of prednisone., when they check my urine for a bladder infection. I am still in the hospital as I am writing this.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

Yes ma’am, a blood sugar level of 500 mg/dl is considered to be quite high. And, yes, these levels are seen with high-dose steroid use (in your case-prednisone). Although most commonly in the 300-400 mg/dl range.

As your blood glucose has shot up, it is best your doctor discusses the need for management of your blood sugar. Depending on which medication your doctor chooses, we could calculate how long your blood glucose would take to return back to normal or close to normal values. In my opinion, treatment with rapid-acting diabetes medication (sulfonylurea, insulin, etc.) would be most suitable for you right now, as long as you are on steroid treatment.

Once you are off the steroids, we should re-check your glucose levels, to establish whether your high blood glucose levels were only because of the steroid therapy, or you could have diabetes itself (which will require management), as you have a positive family history.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have sugar in urine. Can prednisone cause this? 25 hours later
I would like to know if 2 hours after eating blood sugar of 150 is normal. My blood sugar before I ate was 97. two hours it is 150. I thought that it should be under 140. I am not a diabetic but it runs in my family. my sister has it. and also my mothers side of the family. Both of her grandmothers had it.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 minutes later

Thank you for your follow up query.

Yes, the normal range of post-prandial (after a meal) blood sugar (PPBS) is 70-140 mg/dl. But, a PPBS of 150 mg/dl is still good, this still doesn't mean that you have diabetes.
Blood sugar levels 2 hours after a meal upto 160 mg/dl is still considered normal. Only levels above 200 mg/dl are considered for further evaluation for a possible diagnosis of diabetes; levels of 160-200 mg/dl are considered to be border-line diabetes and are managed with mild exercise and a healthy diet.

But as you have a positive family history, it would advisable to get your blood sugar levels checked at regular intervals.

I hope this information has helped clarify your doubts. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes