Have sudden onset chills, nauseous but no vomiting, feels achy but no arthritis and fever. Had dengue. Suggest?

81 yr old healthy husband sudden onset chills for abt 1 1/2 hrs, nauseous but no vomiting, feels achy but not in joints and has no arthritis, now after 5 hrs fever 102, not clammy but dry. Feels great fatigue, doesn't want to eat or drink now. Had 16 oz. coconut water in 6 hrs, Has had dengue in past but no rash or headache.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection is likely...

Detailed Answer:

Well, the symptoms clearly suggest that he has infection; however as the symptoms are only few hours old, it would be extremely hard for any doctor to confirm the type of infection.

At this point of time, my suggestion to you are:
1. Monitor his temperature frequently. I would like to keep his body temperature under 100 deg F
2. Use tylenol to bring the temperature down. You can start with 500mg dose now and if needed repeat it every 4-6 hours.
3. Encourage him to drink plenty of water. If nausea is preventing him to drink fluids, you can give him over the counter available antiemetic drug.
4. Keep him covered with a soft blanket and encourage him to rest well.

Most people recover from fever in a couple of day with the aforementioned treatment. If he continues to show spikes of fever even after 3 days, fix an appointment with your doctor. He/she can perform basic blood test and plan next steps of treatment accordingly.

Hope this helps. You can write back for further assistance.

I wish him a speedy recovery... Take care