Have subchondral fracture of the medial femur. Can I get infected?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have a subchondral fracture of the medial femur. very painful. can it get infected
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Let me know mode and duration of injury,any fever or raised local temperature,any Xray or CTscan of involved site.
You have a feature to upload the image and report, kindle utilize it,so that I can help you in better way.

Awaiting your reply...

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Have subchondral fracture of the medial femur. Can I get infected? 3 hours later
Sorry no images. i cant upload. exact report...MRI of the left knee demonstrates an acute subchondral fracture of the central weight bearing medial femoral condyle either traumatic,stress, or insufficiency. No collapse of the femoral articular surface. i am expieriencing more pain now after i was feeling better. Is it because maybe the surface has now collapsed? or could it be infection. a bit warm to touch not too swollen and no fever. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

As subchondral fracture is in weight bearing portion, it need non weight bearing to heal. If you put weight on it more often, then there is more chance of getting collapse and more pain. It does't seems to be infection.
So I suggest you for non weight bearing to fasten the healing process.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.