Have stye on eye. Its painful and irritating. Cause and treatment?

I have a stye on my eye. Its painful & irritating. How do people get these & what should I do to relieve the pain & lessen swelling?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress and analgesic drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Stye is inflammatory swellling involving the glands situated on the margin of the eye lid.It is also called as External hordeolum and it presents as painful swelling involving the eye lid margin pointing towards the skin side and it involves the eye lash.

Coming to your first question, How do people get these?
Habitual rubbing of eyes, refractive errors, exposure to dusty weather, decreased immunity as in uncontrolled Diabetes mellitus… are predisposing factors.
In case of repeated occurrence of stye, you need to undergo evaluation to rule out predisposing factors like uncorrected refractive errors, uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, immunodeficiency….

Coming to your second question, what should I do to relieve the pain & lessen swelling?
The treatment of the condition is by
Oral antibiotic drugs and antibiotic eye drops or eye ointments.
Oral analgesic and antiinflammatory drugs can relieve the pain and swelling.
Hot compress applied locally over the swollen area of the skin of the eyelid offers soothening effect.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you