Have stuffy nose, sore throat, nose bleeding, dizziness. What could be the reason?

ENT Specialist
d for about 3 weeks had stuffy nose an d sore throat on waking when blown my nose it pourd with blood on few occasions this morning clots came out my nose then fresh blood had few dizzy spells and headaches
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

All the above mentioned symptoms are the features of acute sinusitis.

The initial symptoms of sinusitis include stuffiness of the nose and nasal block only. If it does not resolve by itself, series of other symptoms are noticed such as discharge from the nose and behind the throat, cough, sore throat, sometimes with fever and bloody discharge from the nose.

The congestion of the nose also blocks the opening of the paranasal sinuses, thus causing stagnation of the sinus secretions and infection. Once the infected secretions start moving out from the sinus and the nose into the throat, they induce inflammation of the throat, later followed by cough. The heaviness of the head and dizziness is because of the collection of secretion in the sinuses.

Do not worry! This is the usual process of sinusitis. Occasionally, the congested and inflamed mucosa of the nose can cause rupture of the minor blood vessels in the nose leading to bleeding from the nose.

I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough check up of the nose and the paranasal sinuses. You will also require antibiotics such as combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or second generation cephalosporins, mucolytics (such as ambroxol or bromhexine), saline nasal spray and steam inhalation 3-4 times a day.

Hope this answers your query: I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon